Thursday, March 21, 2013

Quiet Book Project: Dinosaur Page



Like my Apple Tree page, this goofy dinosaur was inspired by the patterns available on Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows. I tweaked the pattern a bit, but the concept is exactly the same: give little ones fine motor skill practice with snap-on spots and Velcro spines. The construction of this page was much more involved than others I had previously attempted simply due to my obsession with blanket-stitching around each piece, but it was otherwise very simple.

Dinosaur Snap and Stick Page



Each of the dinosaur’s spots and spines are two layers of felt that are hand-edged with blanket stitching for durability. I used stick-on Velcro dots for the spines but lacked confidence in the adhesive’s ability to withstand toddler abuse so I sewed them on as a precaution. The spots are secured with little snaps and all removable pieces can be stored in the dual-purpose ground scenery / pocket on the bottom left of the page. I left this portion unsewn, but I’ll create the pocket when I sew this page to another page and edge them for the book, so I saved myself some time for the moment. 









Difficulty: Easy to semi-moderate (due to the amount of hand-stitching)

Total Time: 8 hours? (I sort of lost track, but I started this page at the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring and completed it during the last few minutes of The Two Towers).

Supplies:
  • Five 9x11 rectangles of craft felt in the following colors:
  • Light blue (for the background)
  • Light brown (for the ground/pocket)
  • Neon green (for the dinosaur’s body)
  • Purple (for the spines)
  • Aqua (for the spots)
  • 6 small sew-on snaps (I chose to use metal snaps for durability)
  • Velcro dots (or sew-on Velcro cut into small squares)
  • Embroidery thread
  • Embroidery needle
Inspiration: Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows

No comments:

Post a Comment