Thursday, March 28, 2013

Quiet Book Project: That Daggone Mirror Page



Remember when I said that the simplest pages were the jerks of this project? No kidding.  

Mirror Page


 So here was my idea: get a craft mirror, glue it to the page, put some felt around it, and voila! Mirror page. Well, let me back-up. The planned concept for the facing page is to whip up a Mr. Potato Head sort of activity, with a blank human face and a bag full of facial features.

Boy, that sounds like the stuff of nightmares, doesn’t it? A BAG FULL OF FACES. Equipping my child with a healthy sack of neurosis, all in the name of second birthdays. 

So the idea is to make faces with the felt noses, eyes, mustaches, acne (well maybe not acne) on the facing page, then right across the proverbial street is a mirror to, get this, make face! Cute, right? So even though I haven’t begun to tackle the bag of faces I thought the mirror page was a 30-minute project, tops. And maybe it could have been. If you can trace and cut out a symmetrical circle. If you can cut a smaller circle out of the bigger circle and IF you can glue the resulting ring onto the mirror without missing it completely. I burned myself at least three times because, who knew? Hot glue is hot. Then, I couldn’t place the ring on top of the mirror to save my life, and put the mirror smack dab in the center of the page, completely neglecting the felt text that was supposed to go above it. Oh well. It’s done. And the mirror works in that you can look into it and see yourself looking back. I just need to quit trying to rush the easy stuff and take my dang time. I also need to keep my perfectionism in check and remember that this will end up in the hands of a toddler who will most likely spit, spill, and maybe even vomit on it at one point or another.




Difficulty: (SHOULD BE) Easy, just take your time and plan it out before you go whipping out your glue gun.

Total Time: 2 hours. Not a lot of time, but a lot of cuss.

Supplies:

  • Two 9x11 rectangles of craft felt in the colors of your choosing
  • One craft mirror 5” in diameter
  • Embroidery thread
  • Embroidery needle
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks

Inspiration: This is a page of my own design.  

I was pretty bummed with how this turned out, but I am completely stoked about the newest page that's in the works:




 

No comments:

Post a Comment